Labels

create. create. create.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The days are starting to blur together...MMAFC.

(I did not make this Monkey)
Rest assured the Magpie Mouse Art-Fight Club, I think we shall be abbreviating from here on out, MMAFC, is in full swing. There will be no more daily count because I'm just going to do it (and for some reason I keep losing track of which day it is..8? ...9?...10? I just don't know)....For those of you who know me, if I say I'm going to do something, I do. So don't worry, I'm not bailing. I will be crafting everyday.
I want to be someone who when you cant find them, someone will say, "Oh, they're in the studio."
It's been a little rough juggling the work, craft, play combo but I'm managing.
It's been non-stop jewelry in the studio. I am in a filigree class on Mondays. It's very...trying?
I get it, it's just hard to execute. Basically you take 2 tiny wires, 24G, wrap them around each other using a flex shaft or hand drill. Build a frame out of heavier gauge wire, 18G, then make these tiny spirals in the frame and solder them in place. Until you know what you are doing they mostly fall out. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

As of late, its been occurring to me that I need to be the person who I think I am. The person I want other people to describe me as if I wasn't around. One of those things is charitable. I've done the Susan G Komen 60 mile walk twice and the act itself beyond words. But it's ahrd to be charitably when you don't even have a saving account. A few weeks back I helped make hats for kids at Childrens' Hospital. It was my birthday and I was having a great time!! Being around other creative, awesome people doing awesome things. My next charity is being organized through Craft Hope, a nonprofit organization that uses crafts for healing. Craft Hope is out of Texas which, as you may know suffered devastating wildfires this summer. More than 1,600 homes were destroyed by these fires. 87,000 acres in 24 hours. What they would like to do is give handmade sock monkeys to all the children displaced by these fires. Is that going to bring back their house? No. Is It going to make things better? Maybe a little. The cut off date is Nov 24th. If you would like to help let me know. So yes, as many handmade sock monkeys as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to help with sock monkeys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're hired!! after sunday we will figure something out!!

    ReplyDelete

studio

studio
this is one of those rare 'clean moments.' i kinda think if its too clean, then your not making stuff.i am in the process of leaning to be a rad sewer. this may take some time.

Turtle Sandbag

Turtle Sandbag
Makes hammering even funner.