Labels

create. create. create.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bird Art Folio Case


Day 2 of Art-Fight Club. Stencil. Why not? I have never used these things before. A long, long time ago I used to know how to draw so I never understood why you wouln't just hand draw your design. I get it now. I bought this super cheap beat up wooden case at a local thrift store. I think its contents once were a beginning brush and paint set. Its dinged and a little warped but so what, I am taking more risks as an artist. I have it somewhere in this head of mine that if its not a masterpiece by my standards why do it? Which unfortunately leads me to just that, not doing it.
Referring again to this inspiring book I'm reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, as a writer she also got caught up in the perfection of her craft. Pg 78, "...I didn't want to be the novelist who spent so much time rewriting his first sentence that he never wrote his second." That, in one sentence, is me. I don't allow myself room for error or practice. That is hopefully what the Art-Fight Club will do for me. Some things will be failures of epic proportion but they will be my failures and they will get better. As a matter of fact I just learned with these stencils that if you use them repetitively and don't wipe off the backs it leaves a neat little ghost print around your real image!! Hooray!! I get to go in with a damp Q-tip and try to clean it off without ruining the stenciled image. Lesson learned. But, at least i learned it. and now I know.

2 comments:

studio

studio
this is one of those rare 'clean moments.' i kinda think if its too clean, then your not making stuff.i am in the process of leaning to be a rad sewer. this may take some time.

Turtle Sandbag

Turtle Sandbag
Makes hammering even funner.