Labels

create. create. create.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 3 Art-Fight Club

Free Style Wooden Flower Vase




So last night it occurred to me that some days are going to be harder than others to keep with the rules of the art-fight club. The rules are simple; make something everyday. Be creative every day. Sounds easy...except for days I work doubles...like today. Let's go back 24 hours to last night. I lay in bed trying to have some type of game plan.. okay, what to make tomorrow. Technically, I could stencil the other side of the case I worked on yesterday. That would totally count but I thought 'come on, I can do better than that. '
I remember that I had these little wooden boxes I bought at Michael's Arts & Crafts many, many years ago. One Christmas I painted them and did mini collages for friends that were personalized in content. Marvelous, I will do that. Good night, nurse.
So when I awoke this morning I was ready to paint some boxes. Easy Peasy. I opened this random drawer where I kept wooden things of all sorts. Crap. No more boxes. Shit. That was my plan. Uggghhh. I sifted around the drawer of misfit dreams, nothing really jumped out at me. Then I saw this weird half cylinder shaped piece of wood I have been holding on to for at least 2 years. I bought it for 99C at a thrift store, which is pretty inexpensive except for the fact that I had ABSOLUTELY no reason to buy it. It serves no purpose. It doesn't even pretend to. It's just a weird piece of wood bark. As I held it up and made faces at it, an idea started to form. 15 hours later, I have no idea what I was thinking this morning, I just started doing.
I had printed some orange birds on canvas the day before, this due largely in part to my inability to know how much ink to squeeze from a tube and the thought of wasting things kills me. Especially the color orange!! My favorite!I figured the best thing about stencils is the fact that you can make multiples of things you love, leaving lots of room for experimentation. I picked up one of these orange bird canvas scraps, my new unopened staple gun, box of staples, the wood piece in question and my coffee. I figured outside would be the best place for stapling as I had a sleeping boy in the next room for this early morning project.
This is where the rad part happens, I have no idea how I thought this was going to work, or knew that it wasn't not going to. This is what I do know about art, ' everything is possible until someone tells you it isn't. Because I had no one telling me that it wasn't going to work, it did. Step one, after loading the staple gun (by the way, it got ugly. One shouldn't attempt simple mechanics pre-coffee.)I began to secure the canvas to the inside of the wood. I left a little room for a pretend bottom made of the canvas then taughtly pulled the canvas to the sides and stapled away
I used a simple picture framing technique to make it wall mountable. Using 2 screw eye hangers, I threaded wire through one, wrapped the wire around itself about ten times tightly. Pull the wire firmly through the other eye hole and wrap tightly again. That was pretty much it. Living in Seattle, where it does rain a great deal of the time, I love the idea of bring the outdoors inside. This is perfect and I love it so much. Where do I get more of this wood? If you have some send it to me. I will put a bird on it!!


1 comment:

studio

studio
this is one of those rare 'clean moments.' i kinda think if its too clean, then your not making stuff.i am in the process of leaning to be a rad sewer. this may take some time.

Turtle Sandbag

Turtle Sandbag
Makes hammering even funner.